To learn more about our editorial integrity guidelines and how we make money through affiliate partnerships, read our full disclosure here.
Beautiful, graceful and colorful, nothing says spring when you drink your morning coffee and watch over a bird feeder. If you're a bird lover, you can add a new bird feeder to your garden this spring to lure more colorful animals into your garden. But with almost endless options available online and in stores, which bird feeder should you buy?
At Gardening Know How we understand that you work hard for your money – and only want to invest in products that last a long time. We've summarized some of the best bird feeders currently available on Amazon to help you decide which option is right for you.
We used different standards to find the best bird feeders. When looking for the best feed, we took factors such as price, value compared to other products, longevity, brand trust, customer reviews and much more into account.
# 1 Nature’s Hangout Window Bird Seeder with suction cups and seed bowl
Would you like to see up close the birds visiting your property this season? In this case, this model from Nature’s Hangout may be the one for you. The transparent acrylic body of the automatic feeder enables you to take a closer look at your birds without binoculars. The removable tray makes this model particularly easy to care for. The Hangout Window Feeder from Nature is perfect for all seasons and comes first in our test.
The Nature’s Hangout Window Bird Seeder currently has an average rating of 5.0 out of 5.0 stars and 5,061 reviews.
On February 11, 2016 karen wrote about how much the birds in their garden love this automatic feeder:
I've had the feeder for a few weeks now and I have a cardinal who loves it! Due to the location, it doesn't get bad weather or wind. This cardinal was sitting at the feeder for hours today – not even eating! Just stay with me. I love this feeder!
- Clear acrylic body
- Robust design suitable for all weather conditions
- Close-up view of birds in your yard
- Easy-to-clean removable tray
- Suction cups with Nature's Hangout Guarantee
# 2 Brome squirrel-proof bird feeder
Squirrels are a common backyard pest – and they love to snatch seeds from bird feeders. The Brome Squirrel Buster is an advanced feeder with anti-squirrel technology. With the weight sensor of the automatic feeder, light birds can eat as long as they want. As soon as a heavy squirrel climbs onto the feeder, the device closes the gate and denies the squirrel access to the seeds. The product also has a ventilation system that keeps the seeds fresh, UV stabilization and a lifetime guarantee.
The Brome Squirrel Buster Feeder currently has an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.0 stars and has 2,982 reviews.
On November 4, 2013, Richard N. wrote about how this feeder "outwitted" the squirrels in his garden:
I think the many squirrels that live in my back yard can read and know this product. They are really smart and have outwitted or destroyed all previous bird feeders. When I loaded the Brome 1057 with sunflower seeds (birds and squirrels preferred), about four of the small creatures were gathered on the narrowest branches and studied it carefully. You could tell they were chatting excitedly with squirrels. And then they just left … for other parts of the yard … they seemed very depressed … they didn't even try … and two months later they didn't even look at it.
The birds love it. The best designed product of its kind on the market.
- Squirrel-proof technology ensures that only birds eat their seeds
- Resistant to chewing prevents squirrel attacks
- The UV stabilization ensures that your feeder looks good
- Seed ventilation system prevents mold growth and keeps the seeds fresh
- With a lifetime warranty from Brome
# 3 Perky-Pet Copper Panorama bird feeder
The Perky-Pet Copper Panorama Feeder is an elegant choice for your garden or lawn. However, the elegant, antique copper design not only looks good, it also has a lockable cap that also prevents falls. The innovative design of the feeder distributes the seed evenly and stops dispensing as soon as the tray is full. As the perfect automatic feeder for smaller birds, this automatic feeder is as functional as it is modern.
This model by Perky-Pet currently has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5.0 stars with 4,294 ratings.
On December 30, 2017, Amazon user Miss.sunshine wrote how well this feeder worked in her garden:
I love this feeder. It is not only beautiful, but also easy to fill and easy to spot by my backyard birds. I have two of these bird feeders in my garden, and they are both frequented by a variety of birds, including nuthatches, goldfinches, house finches, black-cap tit and juncos.
- Sleek, classic design
- Secure cap prevents falls
- Large body holds up to 2 pounds of seeds
- Thanks to the 360-degree feeding, birds can enjoy the feed from all angles
- The circular design distributes the seeds evenly
# 4 Woodlink Deluxe Cedar Bird Feeder
If you are looking for a sturdy bird feeder for your garden, you should consider the Woodlink Deluxe Cedar Bird Feeder. This heavy bird feeder is made of reinforced red cedar and can hold up to 5 pounds of seeds or seeds. The easy-to-fill removable top part makes it easier to refill the feed. In the side cages you can add both loaf and loose seeds.
The Woodlink Deluxe Cedar Bird Feeder currently has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5.0 stars and 303 customer reviews.
On February 15, 2013, Andy L. wrote how much he loves this bird feeder:
The birds love it. We have cardinals, bluejays, sparrows, finches, pigeons, pigeons, woodpeckers and more that eat of them. It is a pleasure to see. I think it's great that I can see exactly how much food is left in the feeder so I know when it's time to replenish it. Very happy with the purchase!
- Robust body resists weather conditions
- Large body holds up to 5 pounds of seeds
- Body made of naturally reinforced red cedar
- Body holds loose and loaf seeds
- Made in the USA
# 5 Urban Deco deck bird feeder / bird bath
The Urban Deco Duel Mounted Feeder is perfect for garden owners who are looking for a mix of fashion and function. This unique bird feeder can also be used as a bird bath and has two trays to get more birds to visit your garden. If you live in an area where birds visit only part of the year, you can also use your automatic feeder to hold flower pots. The Urban Deco Dual Mounted Feeder offers a quick cleaning design and a lifetime guarantee.
The Urban Deco Duel Mounted Feeder currently has an average rating of 4.7 stars with 24 customer reviews.
On September 17, 2019, Tiffany wrote how much she loved the feeder's durability:
So robust! I'm on the 4th floor and there was a tornado in town, so a very windy night. It was still attached to the shells the next day. Birds also love it and my cat loves watching the birds!
- Robust dual bowl design
- Double as feed and bath
- Unique design cuts a fine figure in any garden
- Easy to clean setup
Things to consider when buying bird feeders
Are you ready to research feeders yourself? Keep these key features in mind when choosing a feeder.
- Pest resistance – From squirrels to deer to raccoons, you don't want backyard pests to steal all the seeds from your feed. Look for an anti-pest feeder to prevent other animals from scaring the birds.
- Durability – If you live in an area that is often exposed to strong wind or rain, you should look for an automatic feeder with a sturdy body. This way you don't have to change your feeder every season.
- Mold protection – If you live in a humid climate, you should choose a bird feeder with a clear body. This prevents the growth of mold in your feed, which can lead to diseases in birds.
- Seed reservoir – Are you planning to place your bird feeder at a high location? If so, you should consider buying an automatic feeder that can hold more seeds. A larger seed reservoir means you don't have to refill the feeder that often. If you want to place your move-in in a cheaper place (like on the windowsill), you should choose a smaller move-in due to space constraints.